Another of our "camping recipes". You can seriously throw anything you like in this recipe. This is just the basic version. It works out great for camping, especially if you have a lot of people. Just add more “stuff”! And it makes for easy campground cleanup. I only wish I'd had my camera to get some pics!
1 package refrigerated hash-brown potatoes
6 eggs (add more if you want it thicker)
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
8 mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
½ lb. ground breakfast sausage (we use a fairly spicy variety that we make ourselves)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbl. butter
1 tbl. canola oil
pinch ground black pepper
· In a large stick-proof skillet, fry the sausage until done, then set aside and crumble (reserve the drippings)
· Add the butter to the sausage drippings
· Add the bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms to the skillet, and saute until tender, stirring occasionally
· Add the canola oil (if you need it . . .some sausage is greasier than others, so you might not need more oil)
· Add the package of hash-browns to the skillet, and stir well to mix in with the vegetables
· Cook over medium heat until the hash browns are done and browned on both sides
· In a separate bowl, mix up the eggs, the crumbled sausage, and the cheese, and salt & pepper to taste
· Pour the egg mixture over the hash-browns in the skillet and stir in until mixed well
· Cook until eggs are done on one side (don’t stir), then flip over and continue cooking (about 5 min. in all) until the mixture is fairly solid.
· Cut into slices and serve. We suggest making Camp Biscuits to go along with this concoction.