We made up this recipe while we were dieting because it’s much lower in calories and fat than regular French fries. Now we like it so much we don’t make regular French fries any more. We think you’ll love them, too.
5 medium potatoes (serves 4)
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. Cajun blackened steak seasoning
2 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl. canola oil
3 tbl. flour
· Wash the potatoes
· Peel the skins off (unless they are very fresh, then you can leave skins on)
· Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, then in quarters (about the size of a pickle spear)
|Slicing the potatoes into pickle-sized spears.|
· Sprinkle potatoes with paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, sea salt and blackened seasoning.
· Toss potatoes in the bowl with seasoning until well coated
· In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil and canola oil together
· Pour the oil mixture over the potatoes, and toss well to coat
· Set aside and allow to marinate for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
· Heat the oven to 325°
· Add flour to the potatoes and mix well (they will look slightly wet)
· Bake on middle oven rack 30 minutes
· Turn the potatoes over one at a time and continue baking for another 30 minutes
· Serve hot with dipping sauce (recipe below)
You can add fresh parsley or dill to the seasonings if you like. We use a special dipping sauce (below) for these, but make up your own if you like.
2 tbl. mayonnaise
1 tbl. ketchup
½ tsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. prepared horseradish
½ tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. brown mustard
pince of garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together well and chill.