We figured it was about time we started a dessert section to this blog, so we're starting with one of our all-time favorites - Tiramisu. It’s not as hard to make as you might think, but so delicious! I do have to tell you that it is NOT low-calorie, however. Sometimes you just gotta not worry about it! Enjoy.
|Yummy slice of Tiramisu, my favorite birthday dessert!|
3 tbl. sugar
2 egg yolks
2 ounces cream cheese
5 & 3/8 oz. of Mascarpone cheese
3 tsp. brandy
7 oz. heavy whipping cream (whipped)
2 cups espresso or very strong coffee (we use a chocolate flavored coffee for an added zing)
1 oz. additional brandy
2 tbl. additional sugar
24 French-style lady finger cookies (you can usually find in your grocery deli, or make your own)
3 tbl. powdered sweetened cocoa mix
chocolate covered espresso beans (optional, for garnishing the top)
For the Cream Mixture
- In an electric mixer, whip together the sugar and egg yolks on high speed until pale yellow and thick.
- With mixer on medium speed, add the cream cheese and whip until smooth.
- Add the mascarpone and brandy and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the whipped cream, then refrigerate until ready to use
For the Expresso/Coffee mixture
- Combine the espresso or strong coffee, additional brandy, and sugar and mix well
- Arrange half of the lady fingers on the bottom of a platter
- Spoon the expresso/coffee mixture over the lady fingers until saturated
- Top the lady fingers with a layer of the cream mixture
- Arrange a second layer of lady fingers on top of the cream mixture, and repeat above steps
- Sift the cocoa mix evenly over the top of the second layer of cream
- Arrange a few chocolate covered espresso beans on top of the finished tiramisu
for a few hours before serving